Dott. Alberto Bortolami
IOV Referent for WP 10
In the European Union, cancer continues to represent one of the main challenges for public health. In the last 8 years, activities to combat this disease have been intensified in several respects, but some important issues remain unresolved.
The Innovative Partnership for Action Against Cancer – iPAAC, selected for funding under the Third Health Programme 2014–2020, aims to build upon the outcomes of previous EPAAC and CANCON Joint Actions. The IOV-IRCCS is among the 8 Italian institutions that collaborate with the Istituto Superiore di Sanità (one of the 24 beneficiaries of the grant agreement) through participation in the following work packages:
- WP 5: Cancer prevention
- WP 6: Genomics in cancer control and care
- WP 9: Innovative therapies in cancer
- WP 10: Governance of integrated and comprehensive cancer care
The general objective of the iPAAC Joint Action (JA) is to develop innovative approaches to advances in cancer control. They include:
- advances in the field of prevention;
- global approaches to the use of genomics in cancer control;
- enhancement of information systems and cancer registers;
- improving care with a focus on major challenges;
- anticipation of the upcoming challenges in terms of innovative therapies and the management of integrated cancer control, including a new analysis of national cancer plans.
- Support to member countries in the implementation at regional and local level of the recommendations of iPAAC and CANCON;
- strengthening of cancer prevention;
- greater effectiveness in the management of neglected tumors;
- support for the introduction of immunotherapies;
- evaluation of cancer care in member countries;
- support for legislators involved in governance;
- strengthening of information systems on a population basis.